Thursday, September 23, 2010

It’s not what you are called; it’s what you answer to…..

The other day, I was driving on the expressway. Traffic was merging into one lane and I was in the main lane that the traffic was merging into. The other lane was to yield to my lane. Now there was this woman driving a BMW 325i. I was just going down the highway and ended up cutting her off because she failed to yield to me (my lane). We drive along and get on the main highway and suddenly I hear blowing and I look over to my left and this woman was honking her horn, sticking up her middle finger and yelling obscenity. She even called me a “nigger”. Now the average young black male in Dallas, TX would have run her off the road and made her regret saying that. Me, on the other hand, I just waved and smiled at her. I even blew her a kiss. My methodology was to kill her with kindness. Road rage is a disease that can overtake the strongest person but I refused to allow her name calling take me to a place of regret. She made sure that I knew she called me a nigger because she blew the horn and yelled it over and over again. To me that word simply means “stingy”. I take no offense when someone says that word because it does not apply to me. Communication is based on perception and my perception of that encounter was that lady was pissed off and could do nothing else but yell and scream. Had she been paying attention to the signs on the road she would have slowed down and not even been put in a situation where her blood pressure would be raised. I was once told by a professor of mine that words are only letters and the meaning that we tie to them truly defines them. To a middle aged African American person ‘nigger’ would be an insult. To a teenager ‘nigger’ would be a slang term referring to a friend but to me it simply means stingy. So to all the people in the world who don’t like the word, I implore you to live above the influence and be reminded of the past but let us not get stuck there.

And this was on the mind of Ivy Thoughts,

If you’re not wearing green, you better be wearing Jade!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment